Saturday, November 12, 2005

A new arrival

The walk into Sarria from Triacastela was done in heavy rain - "It´s raining again in torrents, they say!" - and wind. A less than good afternoon....!

From Sarria I am to walk with my wife to Santiago (111 km).
She writes:
"Well, I am here. I have arrived with fear and trepidation. Will I be able to cope with the distance and pack? Will my toes behave? The time has come.... It´s raining. I can´t quite believe I have to don all the wet weather gear to start in. No, it´s stopped. It is 8C and 8.25am, just about light enough to see and it has started to rain again! Get on with it!
At least there is someone to talk to and the countryside is very pretty, and I don´t feel sick any more. It is only a very short stage today [15 km] and a most welcoming "casa" although cold. The radiators don´t come on until 7pm. It has long since stopped raining and after a shower I am beginning to feel human again and Santiago is now less than 100 km! Roll on the Paradors!!"

[Written last Wednesday; today is Saturday.]

We are now in Arzua some 35 km from the Cathedral in Santiago. And still it rains! But yesterday it was lovely: sun all day.

God willing we will reach Santiago the day after tomorrow...

No comments: