Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Beyond the Field of Stars

Compostella.... Campo de Estrellas.... Champ d’Etoiles.... Field of Stars....

....left behind when one leaves Santiago. The route to the end of the earth did not pass by the Padron River from whence came the shells of St James, according to legend, so I did not see it. However, in the bay at Fisterra I did collect a few shells from the beach on my way to Cabo do Finisterre. Beyond the lighthouse on the Cape upon which it stands is a stone cross and statue of St James carved within its plinth, facing the sea. Late afternoon, on the 18th November, saw me there at the end of my Camino. The wind blew; the sun was largely hidden behind thin clouds; the sea was grey; and a symbolic metal boot was affixed to a stone near the carving of St James. Three days walk from Santiago, which I had not realised until I reached Santiago was a pilgrimage for many, down the centuries. Whether done for spiritual reasons or any other the walk from Santiago to Cabo do Finisterre is well worth doing and provides a fitting conclusion to a long walk.

Very strongly recommended!

No comments: